Our Board of Trustees is made up of volunteers who seek to give vision and overall direction to the aims of the YMCA, and draws its strength from the variety of individuals from many backgrounds who bring their personal skills to unite together to lead this YMCA. The Board of Trustees meets approximately 4 times a year for up to 2 hours each meeting.
The Board currently consists of 10 full members, 1 honorary member, and 1 member ex officio:
Honorary President- Lady Rosemary Ruggles-Brise
Vice President- Rev Chris Poulard
Chairman- Roger McFarland – Member of all Committees & Chairman of Policy Committee
Vice Chairman – Helen Robinson – Member of Developments Committee
Treasurer- David Clarke- Chairman of Finance Committee
Rose Marshall- Member of Finance Committee & Policy Committee
Paul McCann- Member of Finance Committee & Chairman of Developments Committee
Ros Webb- Member of Policy Committee & Developments Committee
Canon Edward Carter
Cllr Phillip Wilson (ex officio, Chelmsford City Council)
The key functions of the Board:
- To define and ensure compliance with the values and objectives of the Association.
- To establish strategy and action plans to achieve these objectives.
- To approve each year’s budget and annual accounts prior to publication.
- To establish and oversee a framework of delegation and systems of control.
- To ensure that robust and effective internal controls are in place.
- To agree policies and make decisions on all matters that might create significant financial or other risks to the Association, or which raise material issues of principle.
- To monitor the Association’s performance in relation to these plans, budgets, controls and decisions.
- To appoint (and if necessary, dismiss) the Chief Executive Officer.
- To satisfy itself that the Association’s affairs are conducted lawfully and in accordance with generally established standards of performance and probity.
- To manage its own affairs and meetings in an effective, courteous and efficient manner.